By: Brigid Lipps, PHR, SHRM-CP,
Senior Recruiter Corps Team
Creating a Winning LinkedIn Profile:
LinkedIn is an online platform that connects the world’s professionals. It has over 600 million users globally and is a valuable tool for job seekers, employers, or anyone looking to establish or expand their professional network. Take the time to create profile that stands out.
Here are some Tips from a Recruiter on making a winning LinkedIn profile –
- Build a Strong Brand: Your profile is like a resume without the limitations. You can add much more about your personal brand and strengths, along with your experience and qualifications. Highlight what makes you shine!
- Identify Keywords: Look at job postings and identify common themes or requirements. Focus on keywords that are important to the job you want. Add them throughout your profile (headline/summary/experience sections) and you will pop up in more recruiter searches.
- Include a Professional Picture: This is the first thing on your profile, so make a good impression! No blurry or poorly cropped photos, and nothing too casual. This is a professional networking site, so your picture should reflect that.
- Load Top Sections: Recruiters are busy people and may not read everything on your profile, so focus on adding value to the top sections. These are the photo, intro/headline, summary, and recent experience areas. Pique their interest early and it could pay off.
- Write a Great Headline: This should be the core of who you are as a professional. What differentiates you? What have you accomplished? What are you looking to do next?
- Add Important Info: Certifications, licenses, degrees, additional languages, awards…all good! It’s what makes you unique and could offer a lot of value to employers. It could also connect you with some LinkedIn groups that will expand your network even more.
- Profile Settings: Adjust your settings if you are open to work or just looking to connect. If you are a job seeker and prefer your current employer not know yet, you can tweak your settings accordingly to control who can see your updates and info.
- Stay Active: You have made a great profile, so stay active! Engaging with others, leaving comments, writing content, and just being engaged on the platform truly increases your exposure.
LinkedIn is the largest professional network on the planet. Your profile can help you draw attention, expand your network, and potentially grow your career. Make it great!