There are so many reasons why being a woman in business can be hard. Women still lack access to funding and to role models in leadership positions, not to mention constantly battling “having it all” and guilt about being away from their children. But today is National Business Woman’s Day, and we are celebrating by giving 10 reasons why being a woman in business is awesome.
- We have a vast sisterhood of working women! 52% of jobs are held by women.
- We have the opportunity to be whatever we want to be. While there are challenges that women still face in several industries, we have the power to take on roles not considered “feminine” and dismantle stereotypes.
- At the same time, we can leave our jobs and take care of our families without societal stigma. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for men, who often lack access to paternity leave and are seen in a negative light for deciding to become a stay-at-home parent.
- But we can change that! We get to lead the charge on workplace flexibility. Organizations like Mom Corps, which was founded by a business woman, aim to show companies how the future of work doesn’t have to be daunting. Its mutual benefits for employers and employees, for women and for men, will make business boom.
- We have so many resources at our fingertips. From Mom Corps, to organizations that fund women-owned businesses, to businesses that help women network, we can reach out and support each other in many different ways. Girl Power!
- In the end, we get to help change what the workplace will look like for our daughters and granddaughters, and for our sons and grandsons too, the same way our grandparents and parents did; with passion and courage. And that makes being a business woman rock.