Life after a layoff can be intimidating and knowing how to search for the next job opportunity is critical. The current market has cooled off from a year ago and companies are being more selective about candidates, so the competition has increased.
Using these tips and being active in the job market will hopefully get you back to work in no time.
- Update Your Resume: First and foremost, update your resume with your recent job, duties, and relevant skills. Make your resume shine by adding valuable content like metrics you have exceeded or projects you have accomplished.
- Think It Through: Rushing and applying to just any job will only cause frustration. Think about what matters most to you in your next role and focus your search on the right opportunities.
- Start Your Search: Reach out to your network, research companies, and see who is hiring. Tap into professional connections, job boards, LinkedIn posts, or anything to expand your search.
- Be Patient. These things take time, and you want to make the right decision. While you are evaluating your next career move and applying to new jobs, be patient with the process and know that good things are on the horizon.
- Make a Good Impression: Whether it’s the first response you get to an application or a final interview, always make a positive impression. Your words and actions speak loudly, so be professional, confident, and show the company why they should hire you.
Losing your job is tough, but if you look at it as an opportunity to enhance your career, you’re already starting off on the right foot.